Teenagers and Children
When a child is diagnosed with a progressive life-limiting illness, a journey begins. Throughout this journey, children, families and carers will need information and support.
Journeys – Palliative care for children and teenagers is an information resource which aims to better prepare and equip families and carers for the many situations and issues they may face as they live with their child’s illness. It is a starting point in identifying where to look or who to go to for specific information and support which best meets their needs.
Journeys was written in consultation with specialist clinicians and families who have travelled this journey. This resource shares their combined knowledge and expertise and their desire to help others answer the questions they may not know to ask.
We regret that we are out of stock of Journeys in hard copy. Please download the resource using the links below. For more information please contact us: email@example.com or 02 6232 4433
Section 1 – Introduction
- About this book
- Words and meanings
- What do people do?
Section 2 – Getting ready
- What is palliative care?
- Who provides palliative care?
- Reliable health information
- Treatment options
- Your rights and responsibilities
- Financial support
Section 3 – On the road
- Places to care for your child
- Care planning
- Symptom management
- Feelings of loss and grief
- Helping yourself
- Helping your children
- Helping your partner
- Help from family and friends
- Your community
- Spiritual care and support
Section 4 – The next leg
- Talking to children about dying and death
- End-of-life decisions
- Funeral planning
- The dying process
- What to expect in the first weeks and months of bereavement
- Bereavement support
- Remembering your child
- Deciding on another baby
- Tool 1 – Care team contact list
- Tool 2 – Decision making
- Tool 3 – Care plan
- Tool 4 – Medications chart
- Tool 5 – Some ways you can help
- Tool 6 – Selecting a funeral director
- Tool 7 – Some common symptoms of grief
- Tool 8 – Tips to help you through your grief
- Tool 9 – How to support someone who is grieving the loss of their child
- Tool 10 – Ten healing rights for grieving children
- Tool 11 – Notes for grieving children and teenagers
- Tool 12 – Dealing with grieving students in your class
- Tool 13 – Help for special events
Other information on Paediatrics can be found here:
- What is palliative care
- Understanding grief
- Directory of services
- Facts about morphine and other opioid drugs
- The dying process
- Questions for carers to ask
- Talking about palliative care
Disclaimer: PCA provides these links for information purpose only. It is not responsible for the content of these websites.
If you notice any of the links are broken, or would like to suggest additional information resources to be added, please contact us.